By this point in the process, you have already gone through the process of picking a new member (https://tinyurl.com/yhvsbwbq), and have unanimous support to have the person join your Forum.
But how do you successfully onboard a new member so they are ready for their first meeting?
Below is a great checklist to go through to make sure you have all the bases covered:
BEFORE THE FIRST MEETING:
- Set up a 1:1 meeting to go over the following items:
- The Forum’s Code of Conduct (with special attention given to the penalties and fines section) > https://tinyurl.com/yhrrnba9
- Your typical meeting agenda > https://tinyurl.com/yzb99ad6
- How to fill out the monthly update. > https://tinyurl.com/yhfuml9a
- The four pillars of Forum (with special attention given to Speaking from Experience) > https://tinyurl.com/ydqnkjg7
- Upcoming Forum dates to check for conflicts.
- Forum roles (with the idea that they will take on a role) > https://tinyurl.com/yj3zrbew
- Give them access to your Forum’s Google folder.
- Add them to your Forum’s group chat > https://tinyurl.com/yhsssrgs
- Include the new member on the Pre-Forum Prep Email so they know the time/place > https://tinyurl.com/yhkokdux
- Send an email to the current group before the first Forum as a reminder about the new member joining.
AT THE MEETING:
- Show up early to greet the new member.
- Create some sort of quick welcome celebration for the new member at the start of the meeting > https://tinyurl.com/ygnlzml3
- Make sure the new member knows that it’s ok to ask any questions throughout the meeting if they need clarification.
- Make sure all the current members take a few extra seconds to quickly explain any background info that is needed to help the new member understand what is being talked about (e.g. “Andy is my husband”).
AFTER THE MEETING:
- Check-in with the new member 1:1 to see how it went and if they have any questions.
- Give them support on filling out the LifeLine activity so they are ready for the next meeting > https://tinyurl.com/ydjyoktz
AT THE NEXT MEETING:
- Have the new member run through their LifeLine activity for the group > https://tinyurl.com/ydjyoktz
This process is typically managed by the person in charge of onboarding new members. Don’t just drop someone in a Forum without proper training and support because it will backfire and cause the person to drop out.